History of Everglades City
The Calusa Indians were the first known inhabitants of the area known now as Everglades City. The Calusa built a large shell mound on nearby Chokoloskee Island.
Just after the Civil War in 1868, the Weeks and Allen
families are believed to be the area's first permanent white residents along the Allen
River. They were farmers on the banks of the river which was the only naturally high
ground around. This was only 10% of the territory which is now Everglades City. In 1923,
Barron G. Collier made Everglades the headquarters for his Tamiami Trail road building
company and dredged to make high ground which constitutes most of today's Everglades City.
The high ground of today is the result of Collier's dredging operations in the 1920s. With
land to build on, the town prospered and by 1929 there was a trolley, hospital and clinic,
movie house, library, railroad depot, common garage for autos, two hotels and a jail.
Everglades City represents the quiet, clean, life of the Olde
Florida, close to nature.
Come, relax, and enjoy the quiet life.
Everglades City - a nice place to live!
Everglades City Informational Links
Glades Realty, Inc.
Karen Cochran, Licensed Real Estate Broker
PO Box 599
207 West Broadway Ave (map)
Everglades City, FL 34139
(239) 695-4299 (239) 695-3849 fax